Walking Inside Volcanoes - Sao Miguel - OPEI
Have you ever walked on a volcanic crater rim? Step up and embrace this challenge! Walk around lakes, along the coast, into wild endemic forests and waterfalls. Embrace mother nature while breathing fresh air surrounded by peacefulness and immaculate sceneries. If you enjoy walking, this trip was designed just for you!
Day by Day
Day 1 - São Miguel
Transfer from the airport to the hotel.
Day 2 - São Miguel
In this day no transfers required to do the walk Lagoa das Furnas. It starts and ends at the hotel in Furnas. During this walk, entrance fee to visit to the Environmental Centre of Furnas Lake is included.
Day 3 - São Miguel
Transfer from the hotel to the beginning of the trail. The walk Lomba do Cavaleiro starts at Lomba do Cavaleiro and ends at Ribeira Quente. At Ribeira Quente, the beach invites to a swim to relax. You can eat in a local restaurant or visiting the fishing port before the transfer back to the hotel in Furnas.
Day 4 - São Miguel
Transfer from the hotel to Faial da Terra to the beginning of the walk Salto do Prego, also known as Walk Sanguinho / Walk Faial da Terra. This walk goes along a path through an old village to a beautiful waterfall. It ends at the village of Faial da Terra. Return transfer to the hotel in Furnas.
Day 5 - São Miguel
Transfer from the hotel to the beginning of the trail Ribeira Funda / Maia. This trail begins in Ribeira Funda, goes along the beach of Praia da Viola and ends in Maia. With this walk you can enjoy various views of Maia, passing by old watermills surrounded by taro and beautiful waterfalls. At the end of the walk transfer by taxi to the hotel in Ponta Delgada. During the transfer you will visit the most beautiful viewpoints of the north coast and a tea plantation (unique in Europe).
Day 6 - São Miguel
Transfer from the hotel to the beginning of the trail. Walk to Lagoa do Fogo, a trail to the most savage lake of the Azores, where you only can go walking. You will go along a levada through mountains and valleys with a beautiful view. The walk ends at the beach of Água dAlto where you can have a swim. Return transfer to the hotel in Ponta Delgada.
Day 7 - São Miguel
Transfer from the hotel to the beginning of the trail of Sete Cidades. Visit the big volcanic crater with its blue and green lake, which offers a beautiful view during the whole walk not only of the lakes but also of the big blue sea. You will descend to the valley and village of Sete Cidades where you also can walk along the lakes. Afternoon: transfer to hotel in Ponta Delgada.
Day 8 - São Miguel
Departure transfer from the hotel to airport.
Included / Not Included
- 7 nights (breakfast included depending on the hotel selected)
- Arrival & departure transfers between airport & accommodation
- Transfers between accommodation & walk tours as per description on the program
- Day 5: luggage transportation between hotels during the transfer from the end of the trail to the hotel
- Walking guidebook with trails descriptions and maps + transfer schedules for the walks + SOS contacts
- Entrance to the Monitoring and Research Centre of Furnas & plantation of one endemic
- Symbolic contribution to social & environmental institutions: Rabo de Peixe Sabe Sonhar & Life Priolo: 1€
- Flight ticket to and from the Azores
- Local walking guide
- Picnics or any other kind meal